Tuesday, June 27, 2017

SUFFERING

Don’t waste your pain.
    "These things I have spoken to you, that you should not be made to stumble.  They will put you out of the synagogues; yes, the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service.  And these things they will do to you because they have not known the Father nor Me.”  John 16:1-3 (NKJV)
    “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."  John 16:33 (NKJV)
    “God never promised He would prevent every difficulty, but He promised He would use every difficulty.  (1 Cor 10:13)”  Osteen
    “Don’t just go through it – grow through it.”  Osteen
    “The Gospel without Hope is not the Gospel.”  Wright
    “And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.”  1 Cor 13:13 (KJV)
    1. Paul speaks of his experiences.
    “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”  2 Cor 1:3-4 (NKJV)
    “The source of afflictions is the sin of humanity.  The purpose of afflictions, if we use them properly, may be our comfort and salvation, as the Father Himself preserves us through them.  The means of facing our afflictions is a hope in God, which allows us to enter into the afflictions of others in actual, experiential knowledge.  In this case, this means people empathizing with their apostle’s trials.  The communion of the saints, spiritual solidarity, is to begin now in the pains of this life.  The godly suffer, in part, so that having experienced God’s comfort they in turn can comfort others.”  Wallerstedt
    2. Paul’s qualifications.
    “Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they the seed of Abraham? So am I. Are they ministers of Christ?--I speak as a fool--I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often.”  2 Cor 11:22-23 (NKJV)
    “Using his opponents’ level of argument, Paul lists his Jewish and Christian credentials.  If genealogy means anything, which it does to the Jews, Paul has it.  If Christian experience means anything, no one can compare with him: his sufferings; his compassionate, involved concern for his people, even his bizzare adventures.”  Wallerstedt
     “I have become a fool in boasting; you have compelled me. For I ought to have been commended by you; for in nothing was I behind the most eminent apostles, though I am nothing. Truly the signs of an apostle were accomplished among you with all perseverance, in signs and wonders and mighty deeds. For what is it in which you were inferior to other churches, except that I myself was not burdensome to you? Forgive me this wrong!”  2 Cor 12:11-13 (NKJV)
    3. The Joy set before Jesus.
    “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”  Heb 12:1-2 (NKJV)
    “The cloud of witnesses includes not only the OT saints mentioned in Hebrews 11, but also the saints and martyrs of the Lord in all ages.  If they made it, so can we.  We persevere by 1) getting rid of sin, the weight which keeps us from heeding the truth.  2) setting as our destination the heavenly City, running the race of faith.  3) Keeping our attention focused on Jesus Christ our Lord and King.  This race is not a sprint but a marathon of endurance: It does not end until we fully enter the age to come (1 Cor. 9:24-27).”  Wallerstedt
    "These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”  John 14:25-27 (NKJV)


No comments: