Monday, December 6, 2010

Forgive For Your Own Sake

Forgive For Your Own Sake

"For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Matt 6:14-15

1. Trust God's timing of events.

"Holy Father, there is so much that I do not understand. I forgive You (but it was I who was at fault) for the times death has come into the family, hard times, financial difficulties, or things that I thought were punishments sent by You. People said, 'It's God's will,' and I became bitter and resentful toward You. Purify my heart and mind today. Help me to look always to You and Your Glory."

a) We need to be aware of God's mercy.

David wrote: "Have mercy upon me, O God, According to Your lovingkindness; According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, Blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, And cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, And done this evil in Your sight--That You may be found just when You speak, And blameless when You judge." Psalms 51:1-4

b) Sometimes life seems unfair.

"In life, we all have unfair things that happen to us. We can choose to hold on to the hurt, become bitter and angry, and let it poison our future; or, we can choose to let it go and trust God to make it up to us. You not think that you are able to forgive because someone hurt you so badly. You might say, "Joel, you don't know how I was raised." "My ex-spouse caused me a lot of pain." "This friend betrayed me." "I just can't let it go." But realize, you don't forgive for their sake; you forgive for your own sake. When you forgive, you are taking away their power to hurt you. But if you hold on to that offense and stay angry, you are only poisoning your own life and disconnecting yourself from God." Osteen

c) A door we can open.

Forgiveness is like a door on your heart. If you shut the door and refuse to forgive, then God cannot forgive you. But when you open the door and allow forgiveness to flow from you, then His forgiveness can flow into you. Choose to forgive and open the door to receive God's life, peace and healing today.

2. Christian love is a key.

a) Paul said Love is the greatest of all.

"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Cor 13:11-13

Christian love is key to everything else, especially dealing with the difficulties of life. Faith, hope, and love stand in contrast to unbelief, despair, hatred.

b) LOVE enables us to FORGIVE.

"But the end of all things is at hand; therefore be serious and watchful in your prayers. And above all things have fervent love for one another, for "love will cover a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:7-8

c) And we have authority to pray for one another.

"And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him. If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that." 1 John 5:15-16

[sin unto death - Mark 3:28-29. If you can worry about it, you have not committed it.]

A PRAYER FOR TODAY

"My Father God, I thank You for the gift of forgiveness that sets me free. Help me to truly understand what it means to forgive so I can receive Your forgiveness. Search me today and have Your way in my heart. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

No comments: